Friday, July 8, 2011

The End of Cursive? - ABC News

The End of Cursive? - ABC News

Ladies and gentlemen, Please take some time and read this article. If you have any conscience at all regarding your son/daughter, niece/nephew, grandchild's education please read this article. There are actually school districts out there who are declining to continue instituting cursive writing in schools. I find this action absurd. Cursive handwriting means so much to the development of the whole child, just read the article. Cursive teachers us so much more than just writing at a more progressive pace. It teachers us patience, critical thinking skills, forces us to shape what we say. The article makes a good point regarding children's accessibility to historical documents that are written in cursive. If you don't learn how to write it, how do you learn how to read it. I commented on "ThePrincipalspage" blog today that I feel as if today's society is changing from a choo choo train to a bullet train. I am all for technology, you should see my house, I am a technophile. However, I still see the value in cursive writing and I hope all of my parents out there see it as well. Kids don't have to get rid of cursive writing to accommodate technology, there is technology all around us. It is innate, why not just focus on teaching keyboarding skills just as typewriting was taught when I was a young tot. Sometimes we need to slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment